Shiloh Baptist Church was established in 1856 with Rev. Howard W. Montague of Essex County as the first pastor. He was very evangelistic and would go to the fishing shore or any gathering and hold a prayer meeting. He came from his home in Essex county on horseback and met his appointments regularly to earn his $85 annual salary. Under his leadership, the church started missions stations and helped form additional churches nearby. In 1902, the Rappahannock Association met at Shiloh for a period of three days. The crowd was so large that a brush arbor was built in one corner of the church yard where preaching services were held for the overflow. In 1948, the original church building was destroyed by a tornado [Photo], and a new building was dedicated on October 22, 1950. In 1982, the present education building and fellowship hall were constructed. In September 1988, Shiloh Baptist Church became part of the Fredericksburg Area Baptist Association (see Affiliations). In 2007, Shiloh's facilities were updated with the construction of the Family Life Center.
The First 150 Years
We reached our 150-year milestone in 2006 and celebrated during church services in October, beginning with Pastor Richard Headley, and his wife, Suzanne, being chauffeured to the church by Ed Hopkins of Charlotte Hall, Maryland, with his horse and buggy. Our congregation dressed in their best 19th century clothing to help commemorate the occasion. [View the photo album] They turned back to a time when God and the church were the center of every activity of their lives. Shiloh broke away from Hanover Baptist Church in 1856 after a lengthy debate on temperance. There's a lot more to the story, and it has been painstakingly researched and captured in a book titled, The First 150 Years: A History of Shiloh Baptist Church from 1856 to 2006. Free copies are available to all church members.
> Read the introduction to the book, The First 150 Years
In 2006, members donned 19th century clothing to celebrate the 150th anniversary.